1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Oyster shell and layer feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnyDayz, Aug 26, 2010.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    How long after you get an egg do you start feeding oyster shell and layer feed?
    I just got my 1st egg this week and haven't made it to the feed store yet.

2. Baymule

Baymule Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I had layer feed and oyster shell purchased before I even got my hens. I bought 2 laying hens. My guess would be if yours are starting to lay, make tracks to the feed store for layer feed and oyster shell so they will have the proper nutrients they need. And don't forget to give them watermelon, bread, cornbread, raisins, pears, mac' n' cheese, tomatoes............[​IMG]

3. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Layer feed should be fed 4 weeks BEFORE they start laying. Introduce calcium (Oyster Shell) ASAP. For the most part, the only eat what they NEED from the oyster shell. So, you don't have to worry about them eating too much.

[​IMG]

4. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn Songster

Aug 12, 2010
    S.W. Washington State
    Not an expert but I thought people started pullets on layer feed a few weeks before their first eggs.

5. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    The short answer....Now! Just as soon as possible. Your chickens need the shell now really more than the layer feed but they are ready for both. Most people agree the it's best to stop starter feed(esp. medicated) with the first egg.

Larry

6. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    I had no idea when I'd get the 1st egg, lol... If I were to guess, I thought I should have gotten some a few weeks ago (my girls are all 22-23 weeks old and only one is laying so far).
    I'll head to the feed store asap. [​IMG]
    ... would it hurt or help to give them some crushed egg shells? We used to do that back when I was a little girl on the farm. not sure iof it is something you do nowadays though.

Can the roo eat the layer stuff? It wouldn't hurt him right? Do I need to keep both kinds of food in the coop?

7. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I use flockraiser and provide oystershell on the side for all.

8. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The roo can eat the laying crumbles - - - but it has lower protien. Your roo is a growing boy and he would benefit from some high protein treats to help boost his daily protein.

Some people do crush egg shells and give them back to the chickens. The only thing you have to watch for is CRUSH CRUSH CRUSH really good because you don't want to do anything that would encourage them eating or breaking their own laying eggs. That would be sad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by