Oyster Shell and Pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    We are getting closer and closer to introducing the pullets to the big-girl flock. Our big-girl flock is given oyster shell as a supplement because we buy Purina flock raiser to feed the chickens and Guinea fowl. Now, I've heard extra calcium can be a very, very bad thing for young birds, so I'm wondering a couple things before we go ahead with our introduction plans.

First of all, the pullets are about 13 weeks old. I'm figuring (at the rate we're going [​IMG] ) they probably won't be introduced to the big-girl flock at least until they hit 14 weeks old. Is this too young for them to be eating oyster shell?
    Second of all, if they are too young, what is the absolute youngest age I could risk the pullets eating the oyster shell? They're reaching the point where they need more room than the grow-up pen that they're in, plus it's becoming a pain for us to move the pen around to give them fresh grass.

And I apologize if y'all are sick of answering these questions, but once again my searches haven't come up as conclusive as I would have liked for my situation. [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I get ya...I have 13 pullets, at 19-21 weeks, they get oyster shell on the side in a separate container...they eat it when they need it....they are on Starter/Grower still because I also have 3 9 week olds I have just integrated into the flock. When they get to be POL, I will feed only Layer Feed...I believe they will only eat it if they need it. I think your younger ones are safe, they should not be eating it unless they feel the need to.

Hope this helps a little...

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Sounds like I shouldn't have any issues then? Well, that's a relief. [​IMG] I'll keep an eye on them once they're introduced to be safe, of course, but judging from your flock, I think I'll be alright. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by