Oyster shell - do you offer it and if so how?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imthedude, Aug 20, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Hi all. Do you guys regularly offer oyster shell? I've left it out two or three times, but it eventually gets knocked over when someone tries to scratch it, and it winds up on the ground. For some reason they don't really like to eat it off the ground like they will scratch. Go figure. Anywho, if you do leave it out, how do you so that it doesn't get turned over? Just curious. I've been giving them finely-crushed egg shells, and those seem to be disappearing, and we haven't had any soft shells yet, except for one "first egg" incident, but I have to figure that at some point they're going to need some extra calcium. Thanks!

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have old empty ice cream tubs screwed to the walls at head height (the hens, not mine obviously!)

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I poked a hole near the bottom of a pint sized plastic yogurt container so the water will drain out and wired that to the side of the run about the height of their backs.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Tuna can screwed to the post in the run.

5. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I mix mine in my feed. I used to just set it in a bowl but it was getting wet and knocked over. They seem to like it ok mixed in the feed. May not be the best but works for now. I might try to bowl screwed on the wall and see if they like that.

6. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I leave a small bowl out by the waterer. Sometimes it gets knocked over but it all gets eaten. Their coop's on railroad ties, and I leave a couple small piles on the ties too.

7. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

plastic coffee can with a hole poked in the bottom for drainage

8. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I mix in grit and oyster shell in their feed. Its easier for me to remember and I can monitor how much they are consuming better.

9. Mag16

Mag16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Graford, Texas
    Mine is in a rabbit feeder attached to the side of the coop.

[​IMG]

10. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    As of right now we are only giving crushed egg shells and they are laying fine. We have a cut off sourcream container screwed to the wall next to the food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by