1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oyster shell, how to give it??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    I haven't given my birds anything for calcium yet, but they are laying an egg each. Every day. I bought some "Pullet sized" crushed mana pro oyster shell Today but how do I give it to them?? It seems like the pieces are too big for quail, but maybe I'm wrong??

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I just put some oyster shell in a bowl inside their pen, they pick out what they can eat and dump the rest [​IMG]

You could always put it in something and beat it with a hammer to break it up more, that would work too [​IMG]

3. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Mix it in with feed is what I do.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I blend the oyster shells in the blender and mix it in their feed.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I'm afraid the oyster shell would tear my blender up! It is pretty tough stuff [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I'm afraid the oyster shell would tear my blender up! It is pretty tough stuff [​IMG]

RIGHT! I'M WITH SHELLEY ON THIS 1 (ALEXANDRA DONT ASK TO BORROW MY BLENDER! [​IMG] LOL )

I MIX IT IN WITH THE FEED... THEY REALLY DONT HAVE TO HAVE IT, ITS JUST KIND OF 1 OF THOSE LIL CREATURE COMFORT/ NICE SORT OF THINGS YOU CAN DO... IF NOT THEY WILL STILL LAY NORMAL EGGS.

IF THIS IS A NICETY YOU WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOUR BIRDS SHOP AROUND THERE ARE MANY SUPPLIERS.... THE STUFF I GET IS SO FINE ITS SMALLER THAN GAMEBIRD CRUMBLE.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    LOL you don't want to know how many blenders I go through! [​IMG] But I do it still [​IMG]

The only blender that has survived has been the Magic Bullet...For $99.99 that thing can withstand many things!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    Okies, I guess it will be a treat type thing then. I ended up giving them the stuff from the bottom of the bag (smaller pieces) and they liked it, but if they don't really need it I guess I'll give it to them once a week or so.

I'll blend it up though, so they can actually swallow it.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN! DO SHOP AROUND THO I KNOW MANY DIFFERENT SUPPLIERS WHO OFFER DIFFERENT SIZED CRUSH ON IT. I JUST GOT LUCKY AND FOUND THE SMALL STUFF RIGHT OFF.... ITS THE REGULAR STOCK SUPPLY MY LOCAL FEED STORE CARRIES... WHICH REMINDS ME I NEED TO RE-SUPPLY TOMARROW.

10. ssbs

Jun 7, 2010
    Yeah, I saw some online for $3. It was for smaller pet birds, but at $3 a pound it was a lot more then the stuff I could buy off the shelf at tractor supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by