Oyster Shell Mixed in Food OK?

Kale Chips

Songster
Apr 2, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello everyone! I need help. So in the chicken run I have two small bowls of oyster shell and grit hanging on the fence for them to eat free choice, but because it has been snowing they haven't been coming outside as much. The real issue is that the snow is getting in the bowls, and then it freezes and prevents the chickens from taking any. Lately I have been just putting a bit of each into their feed, but obviously this isn't the right technique. Inside the coop the floor is all pine shavings and they have several roosts all around the room, so if I just set some bowls out there is no chance that the shavings and stray poops will just stay out of the bowls. How should I go about making sure they have what they need?

Thanks in advance.

I have big hanging feeder, hold 25 pounds of feed that I keep full. I just fill it up, then sort of make a space with my hand in part they actually eat from and dump a bunch of oyster shell in the space. Add more as needed.
It works great for me. I like things simple.

Definitely hanging feeders and waterers are most hygienic. Place above butt height but below head height. Mine are in coop run to avoid more moisture in coop. Since covered run the ground does not get covered here in snow. I mix my oyster shell and poultry grit in my feed per ratio listed on the bag. Then I just scoop out 1/4 lb per bird per day into hanging feeder and done.

We have our oyster shell in a bird hanging in a covered area (under the coop actually). Keeps it clean and safe from weather. Covering part of the run will also give them a place to come out of the coop for some fresh air on inclement days. Could you do a simple cover on the run? We have a couple pieces of cut plywood but tarp would do also.

Wow you guys are fast! And genius! I don't currently have a hanging feeder but that is a good idea seeing as how they are constantly getting grossness in their feeders. They do have a small area in the run that has a roof type thing, I don't know why on earth I didn't think to just move it :thThank you all for your help!

Oyster shell/crushed egg shell feeder hangs on wall in coop.
Feeder hang under poop board and waterer is closed horizontal nipples.
No mess and all protected from weather(including me when I do chores).
full

I find it easiest to hang the oyster shell and grit inside the coop as well, no more mess and no rain/snow getting in it. I just use parrot cups and hang them off a little bit of welded wire on a wood frame, so they're easy to hook on and off.

I find it easiest to hang the oyster shell and grit inside the coop as well, no more mess and no rain/snow getting in it. I just use parrot cups and hang them off a little bit of welded wire on a wood frame, so they're easy to hook on and off.

Oh you just gave me an idea for a spot to hang my hanging feeder the weight is bending the wire on the wall of the run to hang it. I think I could put two eyes in a wood block to hang the feeder from and screw the block into a wood post. This would hold the weight better. I have two hooks to hang the feeder from.

Back
Top Bottom