Oyster shell question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bassbum2, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Bassbum2

Bassbum2 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hi all,

One of our girls laid her first egg yesterday, should I start offering oyster shells for her? I assume it is the oldest girl, she is only 17 weeks old, the rest of my girls are 16 weeks old, will the oyster shells hurt the rest of the girls if they are not laying yet?

Russell

2. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes go ahead and give the oyster shell in a seperate dish. Dont mix ot with their feed. They will only eat it if they need it.

3. lukec9915

lukec9915 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    Yeah my chickens haven't even started laying and I'm giving them oyster shells

4. lukec9915

lukec9915 New Egg

Aug 8, 2014
    What is the best chicken to get that lays eggs and is winter hardy and you can actually get your hands on them

5. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    most of the eg laying breeds do well in the winter. if you have a 60 watt bulb for extended daylight hours...do a quick search many topics on it..and with getting hands on the bird, well that all depends on the bird not the breed...

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Assuming they are getting layers feed, there is no need to worry at this age. Put some on the side if you want peace of mind.

As they get older and laying constantly, you might see thin shell, softshell or shelless eggs. Nothing too serious just they really need calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by