Oyster shell- they all ate it

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LittleMissCountry, Jun 12, 2018.

1. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    So my chicks are almost 18 weeks old. One of them has had her wattles and red, full comb for a few weeks now. Another one had hers come in red and full over the last few weeks. I put a little pile of oyster shell out for them today. I made sure they had plenty of feed as well, separated.
    They ate all the oyster shell. All of them were eating it, even the one that has no comb or wattles and still has a pale face. The one that is probably closer to laying did eat quite a bit. Will it hurt the ones who are not close to laying? Are they eating it just because they saw the other one eating it?

2. Chickassan

Chickassan Free Ranging

It's fine.:)

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You don't say how young the young ones are, but generally speaking, if they don't need the oyster shell they won't eat it. Perhaps put out a small bowlful then they can have free access to it.
    Not sure why they are eating it if they don't need it, but I really wouldn't worry too much :)

4. LittleMissCountry

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    They are all around the same age, give or take a few days. They are just all in different developmental stages as far as wattle and combs.

5. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Crowing

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    They’re probably eating it because it’s something new and interesting.
    It won’t harm them.
    Just keep a container of it around all the time and it will cease to be such a novelty.
    My girls like to eat some right before they go in to roost for the night so I put it in the coop. (I have a walk in coop)
    That’s grit on the right.
    E9ED213D-D1F0-42C9-9E9B-C514A40342F5.jpeg

6. Bugpreisler

Bugpreisler In the Brooder

Jun 5, 2018
    Would love to see more pics of your coop!

madisonjh95 and ChooksNQuilts like this.
  7. LittleMissCountry

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    I need to attach something to the wall like that, because they constantly tip any container I put in, even if it is elevated. I had to hang their food and water.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  8. NNYchick

NNYchick Songster

Jun 15, 2017
    Harrisville, NY
    I have the same container. I bought mine at tractor supply, they were in the same area as the black rubber dishes. I think they are called mineral feeders for goats, sheep and pigs. I love it, I use one side for grit and the other for oyster shells, they cant knock it over and it holds a lot so I don't have to keep refilling.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  9. LittleMissCountry

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Great! Thanks. I will check our TS.

10. llombardo

llombardo Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Since they eat pretty much anything, will roosters eat this and can they eat it without issue? I can't imagine only the girls eating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: