Oyster shell?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 15, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am picturing a chicken pecking an oyster? Where do I get it, I know I'm ignorant but that's what a forums for. But My chicks will start laying in February, so when should they start getting it. I heard they should get it a month early before they start laying, but others say with the first egg? Where do I get it? I know it's odd, but if you have pics of it and the bag, it'd be SUPER [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Crushed oyster shell is available at the same places you buy your feed. It comes in a bag. Sometimes brown paper. Sometimes a printed bag. most often as the big bags are extra heavy you may need to ask for it and it is often not stored on a shelf.

Do not give them extra oyster shell until you are seeing them lay the eggs. The calcium can build up in their kidneys and create a lot of problems that can be fatal over time qhen there is no active source of need for the extra calcium.

Offer it in a separate container from the feed. When they need it they will eat it.

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i get mine at tractor supply. behind the pullet on a shelf. hard to see but that is it.
    [​IMG]
    i leave it in a seperate cup, so they can have it when ever they want. i have ten hens laying, but they free range all day, and they haven't eatten 1 cup full. i don't know for sure about giving it to pullets. i don't think you do??

4. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:Thanks, I'll get mom to check the downtown feed store, since she's going there anyway (low on feed) I don't think we'll buy it yet, I'd hate for it to be sitting for almost a whole season and get chewed up by rats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: