Oyster Shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluckgirl, Feb 7, 2016.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I recently started giving my hens oyster shell as a choice. They seem to love it, though now I'm noticing more egg abnormalities than ever before. The shells are wrinkly in appearance and hard to crack. I have had my chickens for nearly 5 years and they never appeared to need oyster shell, however a neighbor suggested it and now my relatives believe that my hens absolutely need it. Before I added the oyster shell, I got one abnormal egg (maybe) every month, from my 19 hens. Now, I get a couple every week. Should I discontinue the use?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    if you're feeding a layer feed only diet with adequate calcium then you don't need oyster shells.

3. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    How long have you been adding oyster shell?
    Your hens are 5 y/o and maybe that is why they're laying abnormal?

4. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I feed them a complete layer feed.

I first added the oyster shell about a week ago. The abnormal eggs I've seen are mainly from my 1 1/2 year-old hens who never laid an abnormal egg prior to this.

5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    if that's their only diet, or the majority of their diet then there's really no need for the oyster shell addition, take it away and see if the problem clears up. i don't really think it's the cause of your problem, but at this point it's not going to cause any harm to remove it.

6. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I will try that. Thank you.

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Offering oyster shell, free choice, should not be an issue.

The girls seem to know when they need a bit extra calcium, and having access to it will do them good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by