oyster shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bushdad, Oct 31, 2016.

1. bushdad

bushdad Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    my chickens haven't started laying yet, what do you use oyster shells for and how is fed to them.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Oyster shell is used to provide calcium layers need to form (hard) eggshells. A lack of it can result in soft shells and may cause or contribute to laying problems. Layer feed is specifically formulated to meet layers' calcium needs.

I don't feed layer feed to my hens, so I put out free choice oyster shell and grit in separate pans and they eat it as they need it.

3. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    I feed my chickens crushed egg shells in a separate dish. Saves money and works just as good.

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

True but even with layer feed they really should have free choice oyster shell for more calcium. Mine have both and use both.

5. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I always give my flock free choice oyster shells. They free range and also get layer feed. If you scramble up eggs for your birds, cook them with the shells. Keep the shells when you use eggs as well. Like mentioned, saves some money and is good for them.

How old are your hens and what breed?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I guess if you have a lot of birds it would add up but I only have 8 birds and just fill a dish and leave it out free choice, even if I feed the shells, and they take forever to finish a bowl, not sure they have yet, so for me, it doesn't really save any money since the dish stays out and full all the time anyway. And at least around here the bags aren't that expensive and last forever so I would buy it. But if you were going through a lot of it I could see how it would save some moneu

7. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I personally buy oyster shells as well. I maybe go through one bag a year with a few dozen hens.

8. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

Oyster shell is needed once Chickens start laying or the will be lacking in calcium and draw it out of their own bones to produce eggs....Free choice in a separate bowl....

Cheers!

9. JandS Flock

JandS Flock Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Ohio
    I am mixing my layer feed with some oyster shells. However, my hens have not started laying yet. wonder if I should stop feeding until they start laying?

10. chickens really

chickens really True BYC Addict

Yes, stop that practise........Once laying it should only be provided in a separate bowl....Grit in another bowl......
    Only layers need the extra Calcium.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by