Oyster shell?

Littlefoot1106

In the Brooder
May 10, 2018
Any recommendations on brand of oyster shell? I'm assuming there are different qualities between brands but i don't know much about it. Also is grit necessary for free range birds? I've got them on scratch and peck layer feed, the shop i got it from says that it is a high quality feed, hopefully they are correct.:confused: I'm a newbie to chickens! :D Thanks for the help!

I only have one choice of oyster shell where I live.... So no idea about comparisons.

As to grit... free ranging birds in spring/summer/fall do fine without store bought grit. It wouldn't hurt to offer it... might help.

When the ground freezes up in the winter offering store bought grit can help them grind up and fully utilize their feed.

Oyster shell is oyster shell, far as I can tell.

As far as grit, without knowing your location and your specific soil type, the answer could be yes, maybe or no. Do you have rocks in your chickens' environment of appropriate size and hardness? Ideally it would be granite approximately the size of small peas. If the answer is "no" or "not sure" there is no reason not to spend a few dollars and buy grit which you can either throw down or serve in a small container. Especially for a whole grain food, they need grit to get maximum nutrition out of it.

I'm using Purina brand Oyster Shells in 5# bags, $5.99 at TSC.
Chickens eat as needed.
I recently bought Manna Pro brand, 25# for $9.99 at TSC. I haven't offered it to the hens yet, but I opened the bag and it looks Ok, same size as the Purina brand. But it's a mixture of Oyster Shells and Coral Calcium. Purina is just Oyster Shells. Calcium is slightly lower with the Manna Pro, 33/38%, Purina, 36/41%.

Granite Grit is cheap if you get the Manna Pro brand in the 25# bag $8.99 at TSC. DuMOR brand 5# $6.99.
Get the Chick Grit 5# bag for Chicks. Offer it from 2 to 7 weeks, then mix in the larger size Poultry Grit after 7 weeks.
20180507_091125.jpg

Granite Grit lasts a long time and is good insurance that your chickens can easily find the proper size and hardness of stones year round.
I still have over half of a 25# bag after 2 years with 5 hens most of that time. So figure about a Pound of Granite Grit per chicken per year.
Oyster Shells consumption will vary widely depending on what you feed. Layers feed only, no scratch grains, corn or kitchen, table scraps and no free ranging. They may not consume any Oyster Shells.
If you don't feed any layers feed and instead feed an All-Flock, Flock Raiser or a Non-Medicated Starter Grower, or you give them lots of scraps and treats or they free range all day they will consume more.
A 5# bag lasts me about 11 months for 5 hens fed a layers feed, with scratch grains/mixed bird seed scattered on the ground twice a day, and an hour or two of free range time a day weather permitting. GC

Hi, I was wandering about oyster shells also, I use wild game feed and I'm not sure how much shell to mix with it. I tried putting it out like scratch but they wanted nothing to do with it.

Hi, I was wandering about oyster shells also, I use wild game feed and I'm not sure how much shell to mix with it. I tried putting it out like scratch but they wanted nothing to do with it.
I switched from a layers feed to a Non-Medicated Starter/Grower today. I provide Oyster Shells in a separate container for years.
You can add Oyster Shells to a Layers feed according to directions on bag.
20180528_143142.jpg
I would not add to a Layers feed.
But I would add to a Flock Raiser, All Flock or a Starter Grower type of feed or any feed that was less than 2% Calcium if my hens were laying soft shelled/thin shelled eggs and I didn't have non-laying pullets.
So 1# to 20# of feed. GC

I feed Flock Raiser, and have oyster shell in a separate feeder in the coop. I don't see birds at it often, but it does get eaten. Once in a while I'll have a soft shelled egg, and it's generally an older hen, or sometimes a pullet just starting to lay eggs.
I'd never mix it in feed!
Mary

I have a few different feed stores I visit regularly depending what town I'm driving through. They all carry different brands of oyster shell, but none of them seem to have more than one option. The other day at TSC I got a 50lb. bag for $10, whereas other places I've gotten a small 5lb. bag for almost the same price. I mix it with their own crush eggshells. I seem to go through more of it with my ducks than chickens. Duck egg shells are thicker, so I guess that makes sense. Offer it on the side, don't mix it in. Even if you mix it in they may pick for it or pick around it and make a bigger mess.

Back
Top Bottom