1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oyster shells from the beach?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Sep 18, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I live near the beach where I can collect lots of oyster shells. Would I be able to clean them, crush them up and feed them to the chickens?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't see why not. Just wash them really well and crush them up really small. Sounds like a good idea to me.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My concerns would be disease from other Birds...Recently went to Oregon Coast and saw alot of dead Seagulls!

4. mrbstephens

Quote:I'm on the East Coast. [​IMG]

What if I boil them?

5. mrbstephens

Anyone else? [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008

What if I boil them?

That's my Idea, clean, boil, dry, crush, feed. Sounds like a good plan to save a little $$, go for it.

AL

7. mrbstephens

What if I boil them?

That's my Idea, clean, boil, dry, crush, feed. Sounds like a good plan to save a little $$, go for it.

AL

[​IMG]

8. mrbstephens

We collected the shells, cleaned and boiled them. The kids spent about an hour smashing them with a hammer. I don't think it was worth the effort and will be buying them next time, but we still had fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by