Oyster Shells in Larger quantities?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CourtneyAnn, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place I could buy oyster shell in larger quantities? The local feed store only sells it in 5lb bags and that's all I can find online too. I was hoping for a larger bag (maybe 25lbs?) instead of having to order 5-6 small bags a month. I normally mix some with their food but they kept knocking the container over. So I started giving it to them in a separate feeder after I read another thread about it here and they actually eat quite a bit of it. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Our TSC carries 50 lb bags, which aren't that large because the stuff is heavy. I think they charge 9.99. I can get it at other feed stores also, but my local farmer/feed dealer sells it for $8.00/50lbs. Usually lasts me a year or so for 12 chickens depending on what I'm feeding.

5. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you both so much! I will look at the TSC. I looked it up online and they are not too far away! TY SOOOO much!

6. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    I meant all. Sorry.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you're going through way too much oyster shell a month. I got a 50lb bag from my Grange probably 2 years ago and haven't used, gosh, probably a fifth of it. I think it's going to outlive me lol.

The hens don't need tons of shell every day, and I'd wager you're losing a lot of it. They only lay one egg a day, it's really not that much calcium. I just toss a handful or two in the run whenever I think of it, or notice thinner egg shells. I keep a flock of about 2 dozen layers, to give you an idea of how many birds that much shell is going for. I also feed egg shells back to the birds, that's free!

I think my 50lb bag was around $8.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I agree, unless they have 100 chickens or more [​IMG]

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Grit and shell both came in 50 pound bags when I had cage layers.

What I do now is hang an aluminum Vienna Sausage can (they are lined so don't spaz about the aluminum) against the pen next to and 4 to 6 inches higher than the roost poles. I use two wires to suspend the cans, one at the bottom and one at the top to hold the can tight, up right, and still against the wall. I do this so the can won't swing like a pendulum and get spilled. Then before I hang the can I use the point of a 16p nail to put four evenly spaced holes around the inside bottom edge of each can to let any rain water or snow melt drain out. I use one can for grit and one can right besides it for oyster shell. It keeps the grit and oyster shell clean, dry, and available at all times. For a couple of hens and one rooster this much oyster shell and grit will last from 12 - 24 months and in some cases longer. Even at this most of the grit is spilled because every time I witnessed the grit being eaten by a hen or rooster they pecked and raked through it (especially the grit) with their bills for a couple of minute like Goldie Locks looking for a bowl of porridge that was "Just Right."

Call feed milling companies were they make and bag the chicken feed, here is were I got my last 50# bag but the price on 50# has gone up to almost $12.
    http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4688-coastal-poultry-shell-50lb.aspx

Also check this out.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/271275195749

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm inclined to agree you're using up to much depending on how big your flock is, of course. With about a dozen hens and a dozen ducks we only use a 50# bag a year, but than there's a lot of limestone in the run naturally. We buy it from the local general store, Callahan's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by