Oyster Shells - should it always be avaialble?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tflowers, Jun 11, 2016.

1. tflowers

tflowers Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Oakland, California
    A few of my chickens started to lay for the first time. When should i supply them with oyster shells?

Should oyster shells always be available for my girls to eat?

2. zebraffe4231

zebraffe4231 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2015
    well i actually just talked about this with my vet and he said that it shouldnt be available all the time because if they decide that they like it they could over eat it and get too much calcium which can be very dangerous for their health. i personally dont ever offer oyster shell or any sort of calcium powder. my feed has enough and their egg shells are super thick and all of them are healthy

3. tflowers

May 19, 2016
    Oakland, California
    I have my girls on a soy/corn free organic layer feed. Which seems like to be a well balanced feed. I recently adopted two sex links - 6 months and 10months both laying several times a week. I noticed their shell being thinner than the pullet eggs and their yolks arent as orange.

Should i be concerned?

4. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    if your layer feed has enough calcium there's no need to buy/feed oyster shell

[​IMG]

is it similar to these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    I keep oyster shell out all the time, as well as granite grit. Since there are always youngsters running around I use both chick grit and regular sized grit. The hens that are laying I see eating oyster shell. Roosters and youngsters don't seem to care for it. Wory more about high calcium layer pellets hurting my rooster's kidneys.

1 person likes this.
  6. tflowers

May 19, 2016
    Oakland, California
    My layering feed is from a company called modesto mills. How much calcium is considered enough for laying hens?

7. tflowers

May 19, 2016
    Oakland, California
    Crude protein min 17%, crude fat min 2.1%, crude fiber max 4.8%, ash max 15%

8. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Why not feed a layer formula that already has oyster shell in it?

9. Folly's place

Folly's place True BYC Addict

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed Flock Raiser, 20% protein, and oyster shell on the side. My flock includes roosters, and chicks, and old hens who aren't laying any more, and molting birds. The laying hens eat the oyster shell, and the other birds aren't getting too much calcium. Mary

1 person likes this.
  10. tflowers

May 19, 2016
    Oakland, California
    I do not see oyster shells listed in the ingredients. Does this mean i should have some oyster shells on the side?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by