Oyster shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wegotchickens2, Oct 30, 2008.

1. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    We have oyster shells to give to our Girls.. they do not seem to like it much, so we thought it needed to be ground smaller, so we did that.. they still do not like it that much. We keep our eggs shells, dry them out and grind them up.. they seem to like those much better.. but why not the oyster shells? All of our 7 Girls eggs are very thick shelled so far, after 2 months laying. Takes two cracks on the cutting board to get them open! We must be doing something right yes? Just surprised that they don;t seem to like the oyster shells is all..

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    mine dont eat the shell either...i wonder why?...

3. wegotchickens2

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Hmm, Redhen! Odd indeed! we were really goaded into needing these for our Girls! Good thing they are cheap.. maybe they will be good on the sidewalks in winter to keep us from slipping! LOL>.Now we just feed them their own eggshells! Where in W Mass? I grew up in Franklin County, Northfield to be exact, on the Ct River. -Tom

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i live in Ware..its between springfield and worcester..nice to meet you!..[​IMG]... lol..yes, i think i may have to use them on the ice this winter...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  5. wegotchickens2

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Nice to meet you as well! How big is your flock? What kinds of birds? I hope winter there treats you and your girls well!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My girls go through oyster shell like it's candy!

Since you already have it I'd just continue to leave it out for them. I also give my hens their own egg shells back after baking and crunching them. Mine love those too.

7. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Is there any danger of the hens pecking at their own eggs if you feed them broken up eggs shell? (Do they recognize what it is when it isn't broken up?)

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi again..[​IMG].. i have 22 hens, which consist of: RIR, Balck Sex link, Aracaunas,Ameracaunas, Gold Sex links, Silver Spangled Hamburg, Silkies, Barred Rock, White Rock,Marans, Polish......and 1 polish/silkie roo.....yeah, i hope winter treats us well also...this is my first winter with them..so i am very scared that they will freeze or something horriable like that..[​IMG]....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  9. wegotchickens2

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    I was told to always break them up into little pieces, so that they will not know what they are, or they may start to peck and break the good eggs in the box! They seem to love the shells we give back to them. talk about recycling! lol.. Newest cool food they love... purple cabbage! Makes for little blue poops all over though!

10. wegotchickens2

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Thanks redhen! wow.. 22! This our first winter with our girls too, just 7 of them... I think we got it all figured out pretty well, other than a cheap way to keep the drinking water from freezing in the coop. We have a special needs girls too. Josie is an ameraucana with a bum leg, sits on the floor only. gonna pile up her bedding we think so she stays toasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by