Oyster shells

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Hi all, sorry I haven’t been on for a while. Everything going on in this world has kept me busy.

Trying to find real, flaked oyster shells has been tearing my mind apart. My ducks are hardly laying eggs, due to misleading products that claim oyster shells, but are really just clam and coral mixes, and ducks are not getting the calcium they need.

Scratch and peck feeds did not have oyster shells for quite some time, but they have them now in limited quantity. Not cheap, but it’s the real thing. Check out scratchandpeck.com. They have done the analysis and while not inexpensive, it’s worth it.

God bless all my duck friends here!

I thought their body forms the egg naturally with a healthy age appropriate hen with proper nutrition and lighted hours and the extra calcium supports the shell quality. I am definitely not trying to argue or anything like that, just curious. Please help me understand. Thank you so much for your time

I thought their body forms the egg naturally with a healthy age appropriate hen with proper nutrition and lighted hours and the extra calcium supports the shell quality. I am definitely not trying to argue or anything like that, just curious. Please help me understand. Thank you so much for your time
The girls need extra calcium, but if you feed layer feed the extra calcium can shut down. the males kidneys because they don’t need it and it grows toxic. The oysters shells give the girls an option for the extra calcium without males getting it.

Hi all, sorry I haven’t been on for a while. Everything going on in this world has kept me busy.

Trying to find real, flaked oyster shells has been tearing my mind apart. My ducks are hardly laying eggs, due to misleading products that claim oyster shells, but are really just clam and coral mixes, and ducks are not getting the calcium they need.

Scratch and peck feeds did not have oyster shells for quite some time, but they have them now in limited quantity. Not cheap, but it’s the real thing. Check out scratchandpeck.com. They have done the analysis and while not inexpensive, it’s worth it.

I don't use flaked oyster shells, but I do use crushed oyster shells and that works really good for me. You can get a 50lb bag of it at TSC for around $12-15. I have used the same bag for my 7 females all summer and the bag doesn't look like it's gone down much.

I think the girls need extra calcium for laying. What do you add for calcium? Just curious. I feed Mazuri waterfowl, kale, peas, mealworms and oyster shells on the side. Earlier in my duck years, I didn’t provide oyster shells and lost a duck because of a reproductive issues, according to my vet after the necropsy.

The girls need extra calcium, but if you feed layer feed the extra calcium can shut down. the males kidneys because they don’t need it and it grows toxic. The oysters shells give the girls an option for the extra calcium without males getting it.
I don't feed my ducks layer feed. My little ducks eat Purina Duck Pellets and my big ducks eat Southern States Floating Waterfowl feed. All of the ducks have oyster Shells and crushed eggshells available on the side. Before I started offering oyster shell or eggshell to my Calls, one of them started laying. Of course I have this available now, but I thought the extra calcium source was to support strong eggshells and if a calcium source isn't provided, calcium will be used from their bones. Of course I may be wrong and I am eager and willing to learn 💜

I don't use flaked oyster shells, but I do use crushed oyster shells and that works really good for me. You can get a 50lb bag of it at TSC for around $12-15. I have used the same bag for my 7 females all summer and the bag doesn't look like it's gone down much.
Are they Manna pro? My spoiled girls don’t like the rocks, lol. My husband tried to grind them once in my cuisinart, owed me a new cuisnart.

Oyster shells, clam shells and coral are all just calcium carbonate right? What is the difference? Genuinely curious

I think the girls need extra calcium for laying. What do you add for calcium? Just curious. I feed Mazuri waterfowl, kale, peas, mealworms and oyster shells on the side. Earlier in my duck years, I didn’t provide oyster shells and lost a duck because of a reproductive issues, according to my vet after the necropsy.
I offer oyster shell and crushed/broken up eggshells.

Edited: The rocks from TSC that come in a white and yellow bag, I believe

Back
Top Bottom