Oyster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    All of my hens are in some sort of molt and not laying. Should I pull the oyster shells. They still eat it along with grit and Layena. Two months with having to buy eggs stinks. John

2. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    My chickens just got done with some molting and I had oyster shells out the whole time. It's under my understanding that they eat it by free will. If they need it they will eat it.

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Add more protein to their feed. Calf-manna has been recommended on BYC a lot for helping to kick start them after molt. So has cat-food. Do be aware that first the feathers need to grow back. I do not know if they even lay at all until feathers are re-grown. [​IMG]

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Of course they didn't all molt at the same time. Seems like they took their individual turn. The first started about 2 months ago and the last was about a week ago. 5 total. Seems like forever I have picked an egg out of the boxes. I will start some cat food tomorrow, but I must remember it is winter. I haven't added extra light because of the molt and the cold temps. I am trying to give them all the time they need. I can buy eggs. I have been fighting the frozen water problem for the past 2 weeks. Today my heated water base came by UPS so in the morning I will fire it up. I hate to see chickens pecking at the ice in the morning. I try to clear it out by 7:00 am as soon as it gets light. Thanks for the replies, John

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by