Oyster Shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AChickenLoverProduction, Aug 17, 2011.

1. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    This may sound like a newb question but! What is the best way to get my hens to eat the OS? Do I mix it with their laying pellets, dump it on the ground, or a seperate bowl? Their shells are getting very fragile, and squeezing just alittle hard they break. So Thanks for any info, and tips!

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I just started giving mine oyster shell and I'm new at this too-but I just put it in their little chick feeder and set it by their food. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I put mine in a separate bowl. My chickens really like oyster shell. Every time I put the oyster shell in my hand, they eat it up like it's a treat. The oyster shell is working well, I'm getting strong eggs. I feed unmedicated starter due to the ages in the flock.

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I put mine in a separate container and they eat freewill.

5. Honeysucklefeathers

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I put mine in a separate container and they eat freewill.

6. Honeysucklefeathers

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    No idea why that posted twice [​IMG]

7. chickens_in_the_ghetto

chickens_in_the_ghetto Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    I pour it into a metal dog dish and keep it next to the feeder. The birds seem to know what it's for. You could try mixing it with feed, in the ratios on the bag, if you feel your birds aren't eating enough of it.

8. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We had ours in a separate bowl but I've gone back to mixing it in with their feed in an attempt to get more of it into our elderly hen who lays shell-less eggs more often than not. I just sprinlkle a soup spoon full in the feeder once a week or so.

9. AChickenLoverProduction

AChickenLoverProduction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    San Antonio Texas
    Thanks everyone! For now the shells are in a seperate container; if I don't think they are eating any, I will put some in with their food. Thanks again!

10. curtsey13

curtsey13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    I'm having a similar problem. I have gotten two soft and broken shells. [​IMG] I mix OS into their food and give it to them in a bowl. I'm not quite sure what is going on. We had a very bad summer and lost 13 hens (heat, hawks, & goats) [​IMG] Only 3 of my older ladies are still with us and 12 young pullets. They are 4 months old, could soft shells be due to the fact that they are young? I've found the eggs under the roost, not in the nesting boxes, so I'm pretty sure it is a young lady.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by