"P" Roo or Hen~ the debate continues...(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Leavingegypt, May 27, 2012.

1. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "P" @ 12 wks. the color has not really deepened on the comb and wattles, but they have grown.
    [​IMG]
    BIG Al and "P"- BIG Al was helping out by removing a bug from "P's" comb. The size of their combs is not much different but the color is. BIG Al started showing color and wattles @ about 4 weeks, "P" @ about 8 weeks
    [​IMG]
    A full body shot of "P". Those big legs get me, of course "P" is the biggest chicken we have.
    [​IMG]
    Here are "P", BIG Al and Wilma our 3 BOs. You can kind of see our puzzlement. BIG Al's red comb and wattles look really roo, Wilma has a very small light comb and then there is "P". We also have 3 Production Red pullets, but looking at their combs etc. is no help with identifying "P's" gender..
    [​IMG]
    so there you go..."P" still awaits a "HE" or "SHE" determination.

2. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Looks just like my Buff Orp pullets.

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say cockerel, looks like one of mine did at around that age
    [​IMG]

4. CourtneyMB

CourtneyMB In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I want to say pullet. She looks just like my girls.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, we're not helping you much, are we? I think P is a slower developing rooster. That's too red for a pullet at that age. Some boys just develop slower.

6. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Well at least we know that we're in good company. "P" has been a ? mark for several weeks now. A behavior that has just shown up is that BIG Al and "P" have become best friends. They take naps together, hang out and eat together- where they used to do alot of stare downs and chest bumping. It'll be hard because 2 roos is just too many for a flock that will eventually be 10-12. We have grown attached to all of them.

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I am not sure.. When you compare her to big Al, I want to say pullet. :idunno

Can you put her beside some of your known pullets?

8. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    At first I thought pullet, but when I started looking at my own pictures...I now think maybe roo.

Lucy (Orpington)
    [​IMG]

Lenny my roo(Orpington)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: