PA UKE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by honeynajar, Jun 30, 2016.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I gathered eggs this morning like I normally do every morning... then was fixing myself a veggie omelet and I grabbed 2 of the fresh eggs and cracked one and it was dark, bloody and had a definite eyeball. [​IMG]

OK this was totally and completely unexpected and bizarre. That egg was NOT in the coop yesterday. And there was no chicken sitting on top of this egg. I'm SOOOOOO confused. It had to be a day 3 or older egg.

So I'm at work and having peanuts for my breakfast finally now that my stomach has stopped being green.

Any thoughts??? I do this again and I'll have to stop eating my own eggs! [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Love your title[​IMG]

Not to be gruesome, but do you have any photos of the offensive eggs?

Only thing I can think of is maybe one got buried in the nesting box?

I caught my SLW covering her egg and the fake egg in the nesting box yesterday with shavings, she looked like she was a bit put out that I came in while she was doing that. Never had it happen before, but now, I think I will have to look more closely in the boxes to make sure none are left behind.

3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    That could be a possibility but I really try to look because due to a predator incident, I'm only getting one or 2 eggs a day and they are almost prized possessions.

I do not have a pic.... I was SOOOOOOOOOO grossed out I almost puked in the sink. I set it down and left the immediate area. Then put it down the drain with my eyes shut. OMG It's going to be awhile before I'll be able to crack one.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry that just cracked me up[​IMG]

Seriously though, I just don't know. The only other thing I can think of is what is called a meat in the egg, it would look somewhat like a blood clot-could be red, black, etc , sometimes there can be blood in the egg as well from a small ruptured blood vessel. If it does happen again, then you may want to find out which girl is laying the egg and evaluate her.

These two do have photos, so...[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1052035/are-these-meat-spots-aging-hen
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1076068/blood-in-egg

This one has some photos and explanation of problems:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

5. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Thank you but no it didn't look like that. The yolk was broken - unsure if it was how I cracked it, but there was a substantial amount of blood because I even noticed the shell had leftover blood in it - and I looked closer and there was a dark black mass like an eyeball or what I would assume was an eyeball as I've never EVER seen anything like it but would imagine that's what it would look like if you cracked a 4 day old incubated egg. [​IMG] Thank you for the links tho!!!

6. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

I found this chart and it was more along the lines of day 6 with the yolk broke. GAWD! The thing is there has been no chick in that nest for 6 days. Because I always get the eggs under them because the box is high.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG] Well that would be gross.
    Hopefully you don't find any more.

8. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    That's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by