Pacing???

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Nov 27, 2010.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My pheasants keep on pacing, we got them in august. They will NOT stop pacing!!! Why are they? How can I stop it?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    How Many Birds? Whats The Size Of The Pen? Do They Have Any Roommates?

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    A trio. 8x10.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    8 X 10 Isnt Real Big, But Should Be Sufficient For A Trio Of Goldens. They Are Nervous And Wary Birds And Tend To Stay On The Move During Daylight Hours. You Might Try Adding Perches(roosts) And Hiding Places Or Plants For Cover And See If That Helps

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Much larger pen with clumps of grass they can effectively hide behind. Are they pacing on your side or opposite side of pen?

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I had Silvers, Alaskans, White meat, Buff ringnecks, & Mellanistics over the years. usually around 6 in pens 16x24 & all of them paced. Thats what they do.

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well we have a perch. The quail pen is attached to the pheasant pen.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What kind of covering do you have over run? I have similar problem with brood fish. To control, overhead light is broken up or diffused. If your problem similar, then response will be immediate. You could put some of the camo-netting over part of run top to breakup lighting.

9. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    ya sounds like they need more coverage in their pen, more perchs....mine love to jump from perch to perch.
    after christmas, get a real christmas tree and turn in upside down in their pen. get some tall grass growing in there

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I had perches, natural grasses, hay, rocks to climb under & over, & they still paced. I raisd young in the pen.....still paced. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by