Pack Goats?

cameron

Songster
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Anybody here ever raised goats for pack animals? Found this site, thought was kinda nifty. One of these guys would be useful when I'm walking the property lines if my place fixing fence since its too rugged for atv's. Anybody ever have any dealings with pack goats?

http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/

Thanks for any info!

I have heard pack goats are definitely popular with backpackers! They can carry supplies for the goats and some of the backpackers too, just gotta be careful to not put on too much weight. And a doe giving milk can offer up a fresh treat while on the trail. I've seen one in person while backpacking, and she was as happy as a clam!

I think for your purposes that is a great idea. Goats can definitely help you carry extra supplies and water. I can tell you, they are so surefooted. I was getting my butt whooped by my cousin's 14 year old goat trying to bring her into the barn when she didn't want to. The goat was on a very rocky, steep part of the pasture just chilling, but didn't want some silly human ruining her fun! She moved across those rocks with ease while I had to clamber over them with difficulty.

That is too cute and you must post pictures after you get the goat trained.
I never thought of them as pack animals, but I know that they used to be trained in harness to pull little carts of firewood, kids, or whatever. I collect vintage pictures of animals and I have some really adorable ones of kids in goat carts. Some of the carts were quite fancy!

I'm not looking into pack goats, but cart goats. Similar concepts (weight on the back). Would love to see photos of you training!
smile.png
Have fun with it
smile.png
And the idea of having one to walk the fence with, that's an awesome idea! Maybe I will have to look into it too...hehe.

Rayna

Back
Top Bottom