1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pack of dogs destroys hatchery layers!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bossroo, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I just talked to the lady at Belt Hatchery in Fresno, Cal. as I wanted to place an order for Cornish X for Oct. She said that a pack of dogs broke through the side wire on one of their 400foot barns and killed over half of their laying chickens .Therefore they will be very hard to find the Cornish X chicks this year. They will sell their birds to Feed stores for resale only.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's awful! It's what happens when dogs pack up, though. They'll go crazy and do things that one or two wouldn't normally do. I find it odd that a hatchery doesn't have really secure facilities, though.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree about the security, very surprising and disappointing. I worry about people whose biosecurity is questionable, especially places that claim to do a lot of business. I want a bear to bounce off a place like that, and rats to need a jack-hammer to dig up to the chicks.

4. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    The wire is 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth set at 3 ft from the ground and @3feet high and running the 400 feet on 2 sides of the barns. The sides are all wood otherwise. no runs. Corogated steel roofs. The birds are all inside these barns They have used the barns for over 20 years with no problems until recently. These were some REALLY BIG dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by