Pack & Play Brooders

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustinaMarie, Feb 5, 2014.

1. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    I was looking through the brooders thread and Just figured we could make one For Just pack and plays so we don't have to search them through 200 some pages. I am getting one for eathier 5 or ten bucks. Show us your pack & play brooders :)

2. fluffpuffgerbil

fluffpuffgerbil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey there! I haven't gotten my chicks yet(I plan to on Friday since that's when our feedstore gets theirs in) but I set up an old Pack n Play we used almost thirteen years ago when our dog was a pup, and we never got rid of it, so now it's going to be a brooder for 6 little puffs.

Here it was when I was first trying to set it up and figure out where I could put it--- started it out in the middle of the room and then realised I'd have too much trouble accessing my lizards, so I moved it to the end of the bed.
    [​IMG]

These were from yesterday after I got my pine shavings and stuff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top to show a bit more of the sheets, one fitted and one regular, to try and keep maybe a bit of the dust from getting too crazy for at least a little bit and also the fitted blue sheet is covering the exposed mesh of the PacknPlay on the side. I zip-tied the two sheets together to keep them 1) on the brooder, and 2) more or less taut[​IMG]
    The inside... it's so boring. Does anyone give their chicks toys to liven it up a bit in there? =D Their feeding trough looks tiny in there, but it's 12" long. Their waterer is on a slightly buried 6qt rubbermaid tote lid to try and keep it stable since it instantly sunk in the 3 inches or so of pine shavings. I currently have the pine shavings covered with a layer of paper towel just so the chicks find their food and stuff. I'll probably take the towels out after a day.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I use to mount my heat lamp. I was using it for my bearded dragon, but I found another way to hang his heat lamp, so I put the stand in the brooder and ziptied the side of it to the corned of the brooder so it's impossible to knock over. It can be adjusted to be higher, lower, further towards the center, or anywhere basically. I'm getting a lamp dimmer tomorrow so I can adjust the heat lamp temps without having to change bulbs or get rid of my 250w bulb I already have.

So yeah. There's my PacknPlay brooder. Hopefully my chicks like it!
    Also if I can't stand having them in my room after awhile, we'll figure out a way to make a screen top (maybe out of PVC pipe and hardware cloth or other type of screen) and we'll move the chicks to another place. I'm definitely excited and like this brooder a lot better than a rubbermaid one!... Even though I've never used a rubbermaid brooder(I use rubbermaid totes for a lot of my gecko cages though and they're fantastic for that) since this will be my first time having chickens!

3. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    This is my $5 pack and play. I still have to get the other things to go with it . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by