packaging chickins?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklover16, Jun 29, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    when you ship a chicken... HOW DO YOU PACKAGE IT? I've been trying to figure it out and I just can not understand how on earth you would go about packaging a chicken. please help me out.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Although I can't answer your question, I bet a phone call or visit to your local post office and a talk with the post master/mistress could be helpful. (Providing you don't have a frantically busy post office like some of them are. )

It seems like the U.S.P.S would be one of the best sources for how to ship a live bird through the mail, or if you choose another carrier, like UPS then they should be able to give you answers.

Thinking back to the day when I had an antique piece of glass arrive is shards... postal travel can be brutal.

good luck.
    Perhaps you will have a chance to post back when you get your answer if no experienced BYCers provide the definitive method.

I guess you could also phone a hatchery or internet source that sells live grown birds, incase they would be kind enough to give you tips.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Pack and ship a live chicken, or a dressed chicken? It makes a difference.

There are specially made shipping containers for live birds.

For a dressed chicken, I'd freeze it and package it with blue ice and pay for overnight delivery.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    There are companies that sell containers for shipping live animals:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by