Packaging Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by danschicks, Nov 21, 2009.

1. danschicks

danschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Pre-paid orders for 100 meat birds (cornish X) fell into my lap. I will raise and process them in early spring. I usually do my own birds in lots of 25. I process my own birds at about 7 weeks. The reason being is I can get them into the 11" food saver bag and freeze them whole. For this order though, I will let them go 8 weeks to insure a quality size bird and repeat happy customers. My concern is that they may not fit in the food saver bag. The people stated they would like their birds packaged whole. Any thoughts to help out with this? What are some methods I can use to package whole birds incase they don't fit in the food saver type bag?

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    What size are the bags? I use gallon size zip lock freezer bags, but have never done Cornish X. My last batch were some big White Rocks, though, and they fit okay.

3. danschicks

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    I currently use the vacuum seal bags for the Food saver that are 11" across and cut to what ever length I need. I am hoping to find another method of vacuum sealing larger birds, or at least a site to purchase some poultry bags. I was thinking some poultry bags, wire ties, and a wet vac may be able to do the trick.

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky you! I offered to fillet/cut up my birds last year, now that's how everyone wants them- and my total order doubled from last year so it;s a ton of work. Get some shrink bags from Cornerstone. They work great.

5. danschicks

Dec 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks Jaku, exactly what I am looking for!

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by