Packing peanut chicks (Plymouth Rocks?)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by orionburn, Jul 14, 2010.

1. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    We placed another order with Ideal back in the spring. The girls are all doing nicely, but I've been trying to figure out what the white packing peanut birds are that they included. I automatically assumed they were broilers, but their growth has been about the same as the other girls. We ended up with a pair of broiler chicks by mistake in the past and they grew so freakishly fast that now I'm starting to wonder if that's what these are. White plymouth rock perhaps??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, if they didn't grow, "freakishly fast", then they are probably white rocks. Beautiful specimens. I had a white rock pullet that laid a big brown egg 4-5 times a week. She was a heavy gal.

3. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:Even at this age (about 2 months old now) wouldn't their legs be much thicker if they were broilers? That's the one thing I remember the most about the broilers we had before - their legs were huge at an early age. I looked through Ideal's website again this morning to see what birds they offered in pure white. The only ones that I could come across were the broilers (cornish rocks), plymouth rocks and leghorns. Since they were fillers chances are they're going to end up being roos anyway.

4. charlieschickens

charlieschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, they are both males and white plymouth rocks.

5. charlieschickens

charlieschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    They are both males and white rocks.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

7. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    They are white rocks, look exactly like my three white rocks approximately two months old.

8. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I don't want to ask a silly question, but could it be a leghorn? What is the difference between white rock & leghorn?

9. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:I agree also..

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Their body style is wrong for a leghorn. Leghorns are more slightly built while rocks are stockier. Also, their earlobes are wrong for a leghorn. Leghorns have white earlobes and rocks have red ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by