Packing peanut has wing stuck to body?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, May 11, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Got my babies from Ideal today by mail, and all are very lively. I ordered 11 Buff Orpington pullets and they included ten (yes 10) Silver Lace Wyandotts, better known as packing peanuts! They aren't peanuts to me, they're prescious! Anyway, one of them has an area on it's left back and wing that, for lack of a better description, looks like it has glue on it and it's little wing is stuck to its body. Any ideas on what this might be? I haven't tried soaking it because I just picked them up from the post office this morning and I don't want to stress him. Other than this oddity, he seems to be thriving. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Damp towel and wipe it off. It's probably left over hatching junk that got stuck on the chick.

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Do you think its OK to go ahead and do it now? I don't want to make him sick or anything...

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, just keep the wet chick toasty warm till it's all dried up. Or you can always just wait for it to wear off, as it will eventually.

5. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate your advice; it makes me feel so much better. I'll try getting it off as soon as I get done with this post. I'm the person that couldn't sleep when I got the email that my chicks were shipped. When I picked up the box at the post office, I could see that there were some 'darker' than BOs in the box and when I got home, found that they had included 10 'peanuts' a/k/a silver lace wyandotts. Boy, was that a surprise! They may be packing peanuts to some, but they are just as cute as the ones I ordered and I'll find homes for some and keep the rest. The brooder I set up is OK for now, but I'll need a bigger area in a week or so. For now, I'm holding them a lot and leaving my hand in the brooder and gently 'cupping' them and stroking them. They don't seem to mind at all; in fact, they seem to like it. Really different than keets; chickens seem to appreciate me....

6. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    We got it unstuck by running warm water on him! He didn't even seem to mind at all. Got him dried off and back under the heat lamp and he started grooming and looking at his wing like 'where did that come from?'...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by