Packing peanut questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Campine Lover, May 15, 2010.

1. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    I just ordered from Nature's Hatchery, do they have packing peanuts? Are they roosters? Are they the same breed? I am under the impression that they drop ship from ideal. So, does that mean ideal may send packing peanuts? Do they mark which ones are the peanuts?

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    someone? anyone?

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You need to contact the hatchery you're ordering from, Nature's Hatchery, and ask them. I know at McMurray's you can request NO packing peanuts if that's what you want. They're usually added when the hatchery has an excess of something and like the name implies, they're included to be shock absorbers for the chicks you order. They usually are cockerel chicks, because that's what the hatcheries always have an excess of. But they may not be of the breeds you've ordered, they may be other breeds that they have an abundance of. The hatchery may agree to mark the peanuts, or they may not. You need to contact them to find out.

If you get extras that you don't want you can usually give away/sell them for a few dollars. Someone should be happy to take them and grow them out for the table.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by