Packing peanut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurianne, Jan 27, 2016.

1. laurianne

laurianne Out Of The Brooder

My Ameracuana hen just ate 2 small packing peanuts (smaller than a mini marshmallow) before I could stop her. She found them in the yard (thanks neighbors). What should I do?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    She should be fine it should be small enough for it to exit her crop because my chickens eat hole mice and plus my chickens ate who knows how much insolation out of there coop

1 person likes this.
  3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Were they polystyrene? Over here, they have ones made of corn. My dog ate some, without ill-effect.

1 person likes this.
  4. laurianne

I'm not sure. I was able to grab the last piece before she got it.
    Seemed to be the normal styrofoam?

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Not to be rude but they were her neighbors packing peanuts so how would she know hope I wasn't rude or anything

6. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Have you still got it? If so, wet a piece. The bio-degradable corn ones dissolve. Also, if you have enough to smell it, they smell like corn chips.

7. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I wasent rude was i

8. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

nah, it was a valid point, but luckily laurianne has a sample. Also, she could speak to the neighbours. If they are the bio-degradable corn ones they might have chucked them over the fence on purpose (NOT ok, but they might have thought they were doing something ok)

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya i did not think about asking the neighbors in the first post she sounded like they did not get along to well

10. laurianne

I don't think they intentionally put the peanuts in the yard. I think it was carelessly put in the garbage can and the wind got a hold of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by