1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Packing Peanut

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by kalaim, Sep 19, 2008.

1. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm placing an order with Ideal today so I was searching some back posts, looking for reviews on Ideal.

I noticed some people said they arrived with 'packing peanuts' RIR, what is this?

Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    a rooster chick thrown in to take up some space and help provide additional warmth!!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    It means they send extra chicks for warmth, usually roosters I've heard.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The packing peanuts, almost always males, are not necessarily RIRs (rhode island reds). They can be any breed of leftovers. If you don't want packing peanuts included, you have to specify that at the time of your order and pay a small, usually a dollar or two, shipping insurance charge.

5. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    That's kind of what I was afraid of!

No, we can't have roosters here so I would rather not have any!

Thanks!!

6. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    To someone that's never had chickens before now, this is hysterical!! they sent live babies to protect the live babies!! it actually sounds kind of aweful!! I would imagine it's better for all concerned but i've never heard of this!! can you imagine how many people named their rooster "peanut"?[​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    omelette'smom :

To someone that's never had chickens before now, this is hysterical!! they sent live babies to protect the live babies!! it actually sounds kind of aweful!! I would imagine it's better for all concerned but i've never heard of this!! can you imagine how many people named their rooster "peanut"?[​IMG]

[​IMG] I would if I could have a rooster​

8. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have avoided the packing peanut issue by ordering extra pullets and then selling them on craigs list.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I, too, ordered from Ideal and the only packing peanut we got was an extra White Silkie [​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    omelette'smom :

I did. [​IMG] I have a GLW roo from MMH named "Peanut".​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by