Packing peanuts any guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hatching, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Hatching

Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    these are the 16 packing peanuts I received from IDEAL this morning with my order. They are yellow with orange/buff shading on some, growing white feathers, leg color varies but most are pinkish orange, some having shades of blue and green like an Easter egger. Going through Ideals website I think they may be either Cornish rocks or male gold sex link. Does anyone have any guess on breed or how to distinguish between Cornish rocks and sex link ? [​IMG] if you would like any other pics that would help let me know and I'll post them asap. Thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would guess that they are White Plymouth Rocks, though they could certainly be Cornish X.

3. cmchickens

cmchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Bigfork, Montana
    If they are Cornish X, you should now soon, in a week or so. They grow very quickly. In all honesty, I doubt the hatchery would use meat birds as packing peanuts. Male sex links is a big possibility though.

4. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    Here are some more pics showing the pure yellow chicks with pink feet [​IMG] and the darker ones with the blue feet [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    I dont know about either. I thought hatcheries killed male sexlinks the first day? And I would find it unlikely to have meat bird packing peanuts. Im at a loss.

6. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    You know, now that I'm looking at them, most if not all of them have blue green toes but some the color spreads to the legs where on others the legs are pink orange. I don't know if that helps.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hatcheries commonly use sex-link roosters as packing peanuts. People have posted many different breeds of roosters that they have recieved as packing peanuts.

8. Hatching

Jan 2, 2014
    This is the first time I've received yellow packing peanuts from ideal. Both times I previously ordered I got RIR or production red packing peanuts and got a female out of them both times, I was hoping for the same this time but if they're sex link ... :/

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I also doubt they're going to use meaties as packing peanuts. My vote is for gold sex link males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by