Packing Peanuts - Gone In Minutes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thomi, Feb 26, 2009.

1. thomi

thomi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2008
    Elgin, SC
    We listed 8 of our 9 packing peanuts on our local Craigs List as "free if you pick up" Only took 15 minutes to get an email response, another 10 to get a phone call back from my response to theirs. Didn't ask what their plans were but hearing peeping in the background on the phone was reassuring [​IMG] We decided to keep one just to see how it goes. It could still end up in the soup pot later in life. [​IMG]

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    That seems to happen a lot

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    what's a packing peanut?

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    packing peanuts are males (roos)sent for warmth with chick orders from hatcheries. Last year I got 11 with my bantam order. I had great luck giving them away too...all 11 gone the first day I listed.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG] OMG, I had no idea. That seems cruel from the hatchery, doesn't it? Treating the male chicks as worthless heaters to be tossed aside. I don't mean either of you, I mean the hatchery who came up with this idea.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    hhhhmmmm. I think of it as 'cool, free chicks!' Even if they are males, you can always eat them..... [​IMG]

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    When they don't use them as worthless heaters, they run them through a grinder & process them for who-knows-what. That is the ugly truth we ignore.

(Guilty, I am...have ordered pullets...)

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG] OMG, I had no idea. That seems cruel from the hatchery, doesn't it? Treating the male chicks as worthless heaters to be tossed aside. I don't mean either of you, I mean the hatchery who came up with this idea.

They have to get rid of them somehow. The only alternative the hatchery would have is mass euthanization. Less of the pullets would survive without the warmers as well.

9. Brad7558

Brad7558 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    Wow that quick.

10. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we kept every single one of our surviving packing peanuts from last fall, alsmost 5 months old now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by