Packing Peanuts Orpingtons or Gold Sex Link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dances with Ducks, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Got my small duck order from Ideal and five baby roosters came with them. They suggested donating to local feed store, but the feed stores are having none of that. I reallly can't keep these guys, so now I have to try Craig's list. I want to list the breed but I can't tell if these are the Gold Sex Links or the Buff Orpingtons by comparing them to photos I find online. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

Too dark for buff orps.

3. Thanks, the lady at Ideal did mention a red breed, I forget what. I asked if the red would be pretty dark and she said yes, but I figured they would be darker than these. So are these too dark to be Gold Sex Link too? Maybe I need to call them back. (I only know ducks)

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

I'd have expected males from gold sex links would be light in colour. I'd guess that they're most likely the reds.

5. OK - Thanks! I'll call them back.

6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Songster

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Those are almost definately Rhode Island Reds.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There a production red .... ( RIR chicks should be darker )
    Most likely a RIR/New Hampshire cross.
    Chris

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:True, but hatchery birds never compare to the Show Quality counterparts that breeders have. I believe those are RIR. My pullet wasn't even that dark and she doesn't look like a cross to me.

9. Thanks everyone for getting me closer to the mark.
    Ideal offers both RIR and Production Reds so I still don't know which one yet. I did send them an email with photos and will post their response here whenever I get it. Does this happen to people a lot? Maybe it's standard practice but it just seems strange not to know what you send people.

10. New Hampshire Reds or Rhode Island Reds. That's what Ideal tells me, I sent them a couple of photos. Guess that's what I'll offer them as. Thanks Everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: