Packing Peanuts! *pic*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TomOBedlam, Jan 11, 2008.

1. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    I know they'll probably be dinner, but I'm curious if anyone might be able to tell me what breed these little 'peanuts' might be:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're about the same size as the spotted puffballs I assume are the EE's, and slightly smaller than the Buff Orpingtons.

I ordered fourteen, and got 7 that are obviously buff, seven that are spotted, and four that all look alike and I assume are all the peanuts:

[​IMG]

The wee black ones are bold, too...two of them have pecked at me, while the little fluffy buff ones are (so far) just as gentle as dust bunnies.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm gonna go with either black sex-link boys or barred rock boys.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Ditto, though more likely sex-links cuz they are 100% accurate!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I vote for BR boys too.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

BR's or black sexlink boys. As peanuts, most likly boys.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I'm voting black sex-link. I would think they'd have a fair chance of actually selling BR boys, at least this early in the season.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, could be either, but it's a boy, nonetheless. I don't have Black Sexlinks, but I don't remember them having white wing tips in the boys or girls. If they dont, then those are BR boys, some of my favorites.

8. TomOBedlam

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    Almost a shame they're boys; I wouldn't mind either of those breeds. I really love the look of the Barred Rocks...

Would a roo of either of those be worth keeping around for chicks? Would they cross well with Easter Eggers or Buff Orps?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My main flock rooster is a Barred Rock. I love him! All chicks will be barred in some way, no matter what he crosses with, though. Barred Rocks are my favorite breed of all time.

10. TomOBedlam

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    Do they make sweet tempered roos, in general? I can keep one roo, but I'd rather have a gentle guy, since I have small children running around. Not that they'll be allowed unsupervised access to the chicken run, but just in case...

Now I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how Peanuts I-IV turn out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by