Packing Peanuts- What are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Badhbh, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I"m thinking RIR or some sort of production red.. they came as packing peanuts with my geese. Completely unexpected too. I REALLY hope they're not all boys [​IMG]
    They arrived on the 23rd, so they're about a week old, give or take.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I don't know about RIR, mine didn't look like that. Mine didn't have white wing feathers at all. Not sure about the breed, I just don't think they're RIR.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They look like RIR/Production reds to me. The barring on the wings grow out eventually and they turn red as adults.

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    They look like RIR, or pro. reds/red star to me too. I think the general rule at hatcheries is to put extra roos in for packing pnuts, sorry [​IMG]

5. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    OK, I'm still new, and when I read this "Packing Peanuts- What are they?" I immediately thought, "styrofoam knots used to ship things". Sorry, forgot they give baby chicks with geese. [​IMG] Guess I'm still learning. [​IMG] Steph

6. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Heheheh. You mean the things that I find in the washer filter every week because I have an 8 year old that's a packrat? Yeah I know those things. lol.

7. Dotty

Dotty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Washington
    They look like my two New Hampshire reds, a light red color with white or yellow on the wing & breast. Feathersite has a good chick photo. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by