packing peanuts?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ksct, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I think that's what it's called when you order chicks from a hatchery. They're usually roos? Do they only send one?
    I wanted to get some more hens in the spring but I want to get one more rooster of a particular breed. Do hatcherys work with you on this? is this a weird request?
    any advice on this would be helpful! Thanks!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I don't think you can pick the breed, but if you need a specific breed, you'll need to pay for it and order only one.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roosters packed with your order for warmth are called packing peanuts. Is that what you mean? You can order whichever type rooster you want, but if there are not enough chicks to keep each other warm, they will add some extras, usually their extra roos.

4. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    If I understand your question correctly ...

If you want a roo specific breed, order a male chick of that breed with your order.

If your order has too few chicks to ship safely, the hatchery may add extra male chicks for warmth, commonly referred to as "packing peanuts" around here. You'll get whatever male chicks they have a surplus of, though. This would be in addition to the chicks you order and have paid for, so you would get the roo you bought, and may get some extra males of whatever breed the hatchery uses for packing.

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    i don't have a problem ordering just one roo... i just didn't konw if i could choose when i ordered other chicks. .....

yes packing peanuts is what i meant to say. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by