Packing peanuts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Easter eggers, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Has anyone gotten 7 or so chicks from Meyer and got packing peanuts

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's normal to receive packing peanuts, unless you ask them not to send any. It's how they get rid of the male chicks.

3. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Thank you I wanted a few more males

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    I need to call them and let them no I don't want any. We cannot have roosters here.
    OH and I am changing my order anyway so that works.

5. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Ok Now I am curious. How does packing peanuts weed out the males? Are the males the only chicks who will eat them? I have never hear of this.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Packing peanuts are male chicks...

They add them to the orders as "warmers" when they ship chicks. So if you order, say 7 female chicks, they through a few male chicks in for free.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One reason so many hatcheries have a minimum of chicks, usually 15 or 25, is that the chicks generate heat and keep each other warm enough during shipping. Many hatcheries will add extra chicks, practically always males, to provide this warmth. These are called packing peanuts. The hatcheries hatch more males than they need so this helps get rid of the excess. Whether or not they add packing peanuts depends on the hatchery policy but is also dependent on the weather forecast.

I've also had hatcheries add additional chicks to what I've ordered that are more of what I ordered in case some die during shipping. If they have extra this doesn't really cost them anything and can make for happier customers. For example, I ordered Black Australorp pullets and got an extra BA pullet. Once i even ordered six straight run Buff Orps. I got seven Buff Orps and all of them turned out to be pullets.

Yeah, packing peanuts are usually extra males for warmth, but don't go into shock if you see an extra chick and it turns out to be female.

8. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Well. You learn something new every day! And I thought 'packing peanuts' were just that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by