Padding ceiling

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Skerry, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Skerry

Skerry New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    I'm getting my first few coturnix quail later in the week. They'll be kept in a rabbit hutch, and I know it's best to have padding on the ceilings so they don't hurt themselves. I was wondering if thick styrofoam would be soft enough padding to stop them from getting hurt?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, it's not going to absorb enough shock, styrofoam is to hard. Best bet would be to attach a piece of window screen to the cage as a "false ceiling" a few inches below the real ceiling so that it absorbs the shock if the birds hit it.

3. Skerry

Skerry New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Thank you - I ended up acquiring some proper foam in the end. Another question I had was, I'm getting about three and will probably be keeping them in a rabbit/guinea pig hutch (padding the ceiling, adding a pan of dirt or sand for dust bathing, adding appropriate litter of course) and I just wanted to make sure they'd have enough space, it's approximately 3x1.6'. I know the usual space requirement is 1 square foot per bird, but in a smaller cage than most will there be any problems? In other words, they'll have a bit more than 1 square foot each but I wanted to make sure it'd be enough. Thank you!

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

3 will be fine in there. Just don't crowd in too many more than that or their feathers will start to look bad and you may see some aggression.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by