1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Padding for concrete floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tyndall, Apr 2, 2012.

1. tyndall

tyndall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    We've just about finished our coop inside the barn. Since the floor is concrete I plan on putting down wall to wall vinyl but not adhering it. ( I might even put underlayment too.) I'm thinking if the fit is correct I won't need even trim to keep it down and I'm doing this because I may need to remove it for cleaning - or if it just does not work out. Then I'll use about 2" of shavings on top. Have any of you ever tried this? I'm new to chickens so I'm really, really clueless about everything and anything to do with these 6 little 1 week old sweet Silkie chicks waiting in a plastic swimming pool in my basement. And, since Silkies don't roost very high I'm wondering how high to put the roost. Also, I'm planning on making the roost out of a wood dowel rod. Do I seal it with anything for cleaning purposes or is there another rod that would be better? My last question is what to use as a poop tray under the rod?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Save on vinyl. Concrete cleans easy enough for that once a year hose down. I'd use the vinyl for top of poop board for easy scraping/cleaning.

Just my 2 cents.

3. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    The problem is I can't hose down the concrete - no drain. The coop is basically a 6x6 house/closet built into a corner of the barn with a closet door for me to enter and a chicken door to the outside for the chicks to enter their run. When I began this project I wanted a free standing coop but everyone said it made more sense to use a corner of the existing barn - easy to care for. So, now I'm down to how to keep this room clean.

4. Serama Newbee

Serama Newbee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Rockford
    I would say no the the vinyl, maybe put down a small layer or dirt or gravel for them to scratch in, but vinyl will get destroyed by the chickens' scratching, and will probably do you no good overall. I would personally go with a bare concrete. Oh, and for the washing it off part, don't worry about it, the shavings will absorb most, if not all of the waste that gets on the floors by the few chickens who do manage to somehow get down to the bottom of your 3". So, I really think you're fine, get your chickens settled in, then improvise to what they/you need of want. It is much easier to improve something you know what the problem is, than to fix a problem that may, or may not even be present.
    Hope this helps!
    Liam

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    The problem with concrete is that it sweats when weather changes. This would build up moisture under the vinyl. Not good for your chickens.
    I would skip the vinyl,and put down a layer of cat litter (plain cheap stuff, not with the blue crystals) then pine shavings over that. Would be easy for you to clean out and since it will be dry you can scrape up any messes when you clean it out.

6. tyndall

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you and Liam too for the good advice! Anyone want to make suggestions regarding wood dowel rod roost - how high for Silkies? To seal or not for cleaning? Type of poop tray underneath rod? I'm so new to this all that I'm just learning the dif. between a hen and a rooster...LOL I just put the swimming pool brooder on a card table (saves my back) and draped a plastic hardware cloth thing over the pool then clothes penned it to the pool - not that week old Silkies could escape yet.

7. Serama Newbee

Serama Newbee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Rockford
    Generally, you can just let 'it' fall on the floor when they roost, it's realitively easy to scoop up with the litter.. but then again I have a dirt floor, might be different than other types. As for silkies, you don't want any kind of perch too high for them to get to; I'd say probably nothing over two feet for them to jump/flutter to, as they won't be able to flutter as well as other breeds due to their feather structure. If you could post pictures of your present, or to be coop, that would be very helpful also.

Sorry for so late a response..

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I would recommend against cat liter, it is just clay and holds moisture, becoming slimy if not changed all the time. Birds will also sometimes eat it with poor results.

My coop has a thick (6") layer of wood shavings over a sheet vinyl covered wooden floor, as long as you have adequate bedding over it the chickens leave it alone. Not sure if you really need it over concrete, a thick layer of bedding may be enough. You may want to research the deep bed method.

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If you want to powerwash the concrete once in a while you can have someone help with a shopvac sucking up water as you go. Why not do a ladder type roost until they get older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by