padding for homemade rollout nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KSH1, May 18, 2019.

1. KSH1

KSH1 Songster

May 1, 2014
    northeast Ohio
    My awesome husband built nest boxes but they're much bigger than the pads I see marketed. What works well that I can get in a roll or sheet and cut to fit? And how much padding do I need on the end board to stop the roll without breaking eggs? Thanks!

2. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I used a carpet runner with some thin foam underneath. I started adding the foam after watching a hen lay the egg, she does not lay it gently she drops it from a standing position. For the backstop I used some foam weather strip with sticky tape. One time I just made the carpet runner a bit long and let it slope up in the back but that made installing the false floor after cleaning more difficult.

JT

sylviethecochin and KSH1 like this.
  3. KSH1

KSH1 Songster

May 1, 2014
    northeast Ohio
    Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. I will have to see where I can find foam.

4. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I used the foam sheet that covered a TV in the box but I keep everything lol... but any craft store should have closed cell soft foam like Hobby Lobby. Or double layers of mat should work...

JT

KSH1 likes this.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I saw one where the lady used the insulation that is used for pipes... so it is a long tube of insulation.

She put a heat tape through the middle of the tube.

The eggs roll up against the tube, don't break, AND do not freeze and pop open in the winter.

jthornton, KSH1 and sylviethecochin like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: