Paddy Rice

TeamFlorida813

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Anyone from Florida know where I can buy some rice paddy to feed my chickens.... I am in the Tampa Bay area... thanks.

You might have more luck finding it if you ask for "raw rice". People get confused by the terminology since we call a wet field a paddy. For those who don't know, paddy rice is simply unprocessed rice -- it still has the chaff covering on it. I'd suggest contacting local natural foods shops.

You might have more luck finding it if you ask for "raw rice". People get confused by the terminology since we call a wet field a paddy. For those who don't know, paddy rice is simply unprocessed rice -- it still has the chaff covering on it. I'd suggest contacting local natural foods shops.
The term may be different between Human and Livestock grade but I will say that I use to get paddy rice from a few different dealer of pigeon supplies and it is far from being unprocessed.

Chris

The term may be different between Human and Livestock grade but I will say that I use to get paddy rice from a few different dealer of pigeon supplies and it is far from being unprocessed.

Chris

Could be. I know humans who are into raw foods and they eat paddy rice and it's raw rice with the chaff on. When I Google "paddy rice for pigeons", it looks like it's unhusked rice to me and the same thing my human friend eats.
hu.gif

I live in Thailand and am surrounded by rice paddies. Everyone here feeds the chickens and ducks of the rice - the unprocessed rice. That is rice that still has the papery outer layer on it.

Both rice grown in water, and on land will have this same papery covering or husk on it. You need to just ask for un husked rice.

You can feed the chickens processed rice too. However, as it is high in carbohydrates its like candy for the birds, and they will get very fat on a diet mostly consisting of rice. It should just be used a scratch - and not for hens laying eggs, unless you can provide lots of extra calcium and protein form other foods - which might work out more expensive that just buying the commercial layers pellets.

Back
Top Bottom