Pain in the Rear nonPredator

Matt A NC

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Morganton, NC
This particular bird is a Merlin . It is large enough to take down a bantam, but doesn't. It has been around all summer. It goes after the sparrows that stay in the large Popular in the yard. Almost every evening it completely freaks the chickens out. Especially the one that are 7 weeks old and the half growns. The Dutch just want it to land so they can fight it. Aggresive little girls. The Dutch boys just stand and shriek at it.

The pain in the neck is not supposed to live in this area. We are in its migration path, but not home. It needs to MOVE ON. I was hoping the local Cooper's Hawk would run it off, but I guess not.

I do love watching the gorgeous bird zip through the trees, but it needs to LEAVE. When it first showed up it almost crashed into my head while after a sparrow. I briefly saw the sparrow zip past my head, then heard the wind crack above my head and felt the air from the direction change of the falcon. With the speed it was going I would probably have been out cold or dead if it had hit me. It has dropped at least 2 sparrows that Barbara(cat) immediately claimed and ended up eating. She likes the Merlin that feeds her.

Matt

It looks like the small hawk swooping down on my girls,but the call isn't anything I have heard.
Annoying but good to read it is just passing through for you.Hope it doesn't get in a head shot!

Back
Top Bottom