1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PAIN KILLER FOR HEN?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by big7mama, Apr 23, 2016.

1. big7mama

big7mama New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Hello,
    My hen got attacked by racoon last night. The whole top of her head is raw, bloody, no feathers, no comb(sp?) left. My kids and I are so sad for her. I separated her from other hens, and put a thick layer of neosporin on her head. She isn't drinking water or eating. She is just standing there, slowly moves, and is closing her eyes. I am worried she is in a lot of pain. Could someone please tell me: IS THERE ANY SAFE PAIN KILLER FOR CHICKENS I CAN GIVE HER? I really appreciate any help. I just joined backyardchickens today, and couldn't find much info on pain killers for chickens, other than don't give them ibuprofen. Thank you so much for any help.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You can give chickens aspirin. The correct dosage for birds is 5mg of aspirin per 2.2 pounds of weight three to four times a day. However I have heard that for chickens it's different and you can give up to 25mg per pound of body weight once a day. I have done five 5 grain aspirin dissolved in a gallon of water for injured hens before and it seems to help.

You can see here under the heading "Give Painkiller" for more info.

She is also likely in shock so make sure to keep her warm and in a quiet place.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. big7mama

big7mama New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Thank you for info, she seems to be a little better today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by