Pain medication for tumor removal

TundraFang

Songster
Jul 31, 2021
United States
A friend of mine has a guardian dog with a large mass on her leg. She's pretty old and we suspect she has cancer. The mass on her leg is getting really big and it's starting to make walking difficult. It's attached to the skin and seems easy enough to remove but I was wondering what sort of pain medication I should use. What should I use to numb the area? Anything I should give her afterwards? I know is she has cancer this won't cure her but removing the mass will make her more comfortable and she's not in any pain right now. A vet is not an option, they're booked for this month and closed for the holidays afterwards. I have some experience with similar procedures on chickens but never a dog. Any advice would be helpful.

Please do not try to remove this tumor at home. Masses and tumors often have very large blood supplies and vessels, and just cutting into it could cause her to bleed out extremely fast.

You won't be able to stop the bleeding or control it in a home environment. You also run the risk of introducing bacteria and causing an infection without a sterile environment.

Please find a vet. I know you mentioned a wait, but please please hold out for the vet. It is not worth the pain and trauma of trying to do a major surgery at home. It is also not fair to the dog to put her through something like this without an experienced veterinarian.

A friend of mine has a guardian dog with a large mass on her leg. She's pretty old and we suspect she has cancer. The mass on her leg is getting really big and it's starting to make walking difficult. It's attached to the skin and seems easy enough to remove but I was wondering what sort of pain medication I should use. What should I use to numb the area? Anything I should give her afterwards? I know is she has cancer this won't cure her but removing the mass will make her more comfortable and she's not in any pain right now. A vet is not an option, they're booked for this month and closed for the holidays afterwards. I have some experience with similar procedures on chickens but never a dog. Any advice would be helpful.
Don't try this, you might kill her.

Find a vet or veterinarian clinic to properly assess this mass and treat the poor dog accordingly.
Just because she is old, she should not be submitted to this kind of risky and cruel experiments conducted by a layperson in this field.

Tumor/cancer removal is risky even for the experts to perform.

I know that your friend has a dog, but my chicken had a tumor on her. She passed away during surgery. A family members dog had the exact same thing on its thigh, and her dog passed away. Do what you think is right, but proceed with extreme caution.

It's not up to me because she's not my dog. I encouraged them to find a vet but they're planning in removing it anyway. I just want to help as much as I can because I have a bit more experience and I don't want the dog to suffer. I'm going to attempt to remove it but I want to be prepared and know what to expect so she'll have the best possible chance.

It's not up to me because she's not my dog. I encouraged them to find a vet but they're planning in removing it anyway. I just want to help as much as I can because I have a bit more experience and I don't want the dog to suffer. I'm going to attempt to remove it but I want to be prepared and know what to expect so she'll have the best possible chance.
Sorry, but your statements are confusing to me:

It is not up to you and they are planning to remove the mass anyway.
It is not your dog.
You don't want the dog to suffer.
BUT: you are going to attempt to remove the tumor anyway.
You want to be prepared.
You want her to have the best possible chance.

This somehow doesn't hold water.

So again: Don't do it!

Her best possible chance to survive is a vet with expert medical experience and the necessary medications and facilities!

I know you just want to help, but the best thing you can do here is not encourage them or help them do it. This is an extremely dangerous surgery to perform without a vet. Please reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom