1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pain relief for chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pimento72, Nov 3, 2015.

1. pimento72

pimento72 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    I have had my chickens for about a year now. I have had more than a few attacks on my poor girls too. This last attack did not claim any lives YET but I think that my plymouth rock is going to go. She was attacked by a racoon 5 days ago. The first 2 days after her attack she was still laying eggs and she seemed fine just shaken. Now the last 3 days she has not laid any eggs and I have not seen her eat. She is not even interested in meal worms. Today I did a thorough check on her and I can see the attack left her with more than pulled feathers. They got her under her collar pretty bad. She seems sleepy even early in the afternoon. I believe that she is in pain. Is there anything I can do for her? I feel so bad.

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oh so sorry to hear of this. :( You can give aspirin but nothing with codeine in it. You will need to clean the wound by flushing it with a saline filled syringe and spray it with a wound care product like veterycn or Terramycin . Try her on a little scrambled egg or sardines with cooked rice. Is she pooping ?

1 person likes this.
  3. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
  4. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    Thank you so much. I gave some aspirin and scrambled eggs last night. Hoping for best.

5. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Sounds like she probably got a severe infection from the attack. Disinfecting the wound days later won't likely help much, can you start her on antibiotics? Sadly it may be too late.

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Cleaning the wound out will still help to remove any bacteria from the foxes saliva. It will also give you an opportunity to inspect the extent of the wound. Terramycin wound spray is an antibiotic and I have used it with great outcomes on horses , goats and chickens. :)

7. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    Well we have been doing the aspirin and she seems to be a little happier. She is def. drinking more but I have not seen her eat yet. I have been cleaning the wound but I thnk only time will tell. Im so over the racoons!!

8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Lol, did I say fox? Glad we don't have either here. How deep is the wound ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by