Christina.Rich

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
Hi Everyone,

A fox got to my chickens yesterday as they were free ranging in the early evening. I had stepped inside to change out laundry, and before you know it a fox was running rapid on my girls. I have a couple where they are still alive and walking, but their feathers are ripped out on their back between their wings. Does anyone know what I can give them for pain relief? I put Neosporin on their backs where the feathers were missing last night and it seems to be helping, but I'm wondering for actual sore-ness and pain if there is anything I can give them without spending a fortune taking them to the vet.

Any advise given will be immensely helpful....

Thank you!
Christina

Agreed aspirin, but don't know actual dose to how much water...

Sorry for the losses you had and for having to see your birds like this. :(

I had a duckling scalped by a coon last year, The first several days to week you could tell she was so sore barely moving.

I would add some electrolytes and vitamins or probioitcs as I consider this an extreme time of stress and believe their immune system will benefit from ANY boost I can provide.

The feathers grew back amazingly fast for my duckling! Hydration is key... make sure your birds are drinking. And provide protein rich treats to help with feather regrowth since they are 90% protein and it's amino acids. Meal worms, chicken, ground beef... NOT scratch or cracked corn as they are low in not only protein but also vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that are added IN our formulated rations. Scrambled eggs is also a nutritious, often highly palatable, and easy to digest treat. Once you get them passed the shock, it is easier to breath (for us). Then it's just keeping infection at bay, which is usually doable.

Not sure... but you might consider Blu Kote to prevent any curiosity pecks.

Will you be confining them for the future, putting up an E fence, or considering other options already. Hope they recover quickly! :fl

I lost 8 total, extremely heartbreaking. I am actually leaving in 15 minutes to go and euthanize one at the vet, one leg is completely paralyzed. I am torn against putting her down, or seeing if she will be able to have a quality life with just one leg. Everything I've researched has come back 50/50. Some people put theirs in a sling, but I'm just unsure if that would be the right thing to do. Id hate to see her suffer.

Just sucks because their coop and run is like fort knocks... and I only let them out to roam when I am home. The fox literally must have been waiting for me to go inside so that he could attack. Now I learned the hard way that they are not to be out unless I can devote my full attention to them.

As for the remaining birds, what would you recommend for electrolytes and vitamins? I'm new to raising chickens, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question! Anything you can give advise wise is extremely helpful.

Thank you SO much...

I lost 8 total, extremely heartbreaking. I am actually leaving in 15 minutes to go and euthanize one at the vet, one leg is completely paralyzed. I am torn against putting her down, or seeing if she will be able to have a quality life with just one leg. Everything I've researched has come back 50/50. Some people put theirs in a sling, but I'm just unsure if that would be the right thing to do. Id hate to see her suffer.

Just sucks because their coop and run is like fort knocks... and I only let them out to roam when I am home. The fox literally must have been waiting for me to go inside so that he could attack. Now I learned the hard way that they are not to be out unless I can devote my full attention to them.

As for the remaining birds, what would you recommend for electrolytes and vitamins? I'm new to raising chickens, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question! Anything you can give advise wise is extremely helpful.

Thank you SO much...

SOOO sorry. I KNOW the predators watch and wait for us to leave! :barnie

How old are your birds?

Euthanasia would probably be the choice I would make for the paralyzed one... if the vet didn't think it was just a dislocation type injury. :hit

There is NO stupid question about helping your birds. That is what we are here for. And we all start somewhere. Sorry it is under this circumstance... think I will go ahead mourn the accidental loss of my rooster Nugget this week with you, right now. :hit Caught me off guard a little when I shed tears for him yesterday. We process and eat our boys. But he was a good flock member and at almost 2 years old our best rooster yet. :hugs

I might just get one of those sav a chick type packets for convenience. But if the shock hasn't made your girls quit drinking then I would just add some poultry nutri drench (my current top choice) from the feed store. Or if you don't have a feed store small bird vitamins from the pet department. Last (or another that some people happen to already have on hand for their children) choice would be poly vi sol baby vitamins with NO iron. Those are all just things to try and help support recovery.

How many wonderful birds are left with to try and fill the whole in your heart? Are they all injured. Come on strong fowl, show us your resilience and WILL to thrive! :fl

Update: When I ended up taking the hen to the vet to get euthanized, they ended up having an opening to have the vet take a look at her, to put my mind at ease that it was the best choice. So insanely grateful I did because it was a dislocation! The doctors put her under and were able to put it back into place! Literally blew my mind. Was $375 all in, but absolutely worth it. I was on the fence at first but after realizing that I would stress myself for weeks wondering if I made the right choice weather or not to put her down, with making the choice to at least try and gamble $375, I would at least know that I did everything I could for her. So glad I did. She did great, and I pick her up tomorrow. 7-10 days with limited activity and she should be back to normal! So blessed.

I’ll be purchasing the vitamins and electrolytes online tonight. The girls at home can use all they can right now after being through what they went through yesterday. With only 6 left and losing 8, I can only be grateful that I dont have an empty coop tonight.

Can’t thank you enough for your help and support!!

Gosh so sorry about this. But that’s great about the hen and her leg. Chickens are prey animals in the webof life but it sure hurts to be reminded of that.
I write this as I am supervising my flock during free range.
I go inside to do something quick all the time when they are out.
@EggSighted4Life so sorry about your rooster too...thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom