Pain/seal on hutch

Stoneschillin

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2023
I was just curious what kind of paint/sealant for wood do you all use for your quail coops and hutches? My first time with quail and i want a safe option for them obviously.

I was just curious what kind of paint/sealant for wood do you all use for your quail coops and hutches? My first time with quail and i want a safe option for them obviously.
I too have this question. I'm about to start building my own cages and plan to make the floor partially plywood and partially vinyl coated wire. It'd be great to have some suggestions for sealing the wood.

I saw Internal Wood Stabilizer suggested on The Garden Coop, so that's what we're using in our aviary. It's non-toxic, zero-VOC, and claims to be permanent, so we'll see how it works out! So far it's been easy to apply, fast-drying and there's no odor.

ETA: nothing is truly permanent, but if the IWS gets us more years out of this wood than we would normally get with a paint/stain that would have to be touched up throughout the years, or that would potentially contain harmful ingredients, I'll consider it a success!

I use Thompsons Water Seal on any wood parts that are exposed to the weather, plus two coats of a quality oil base paint.

Some of the structures I've done this way are still in great shape, no rot, after 15 to 20 years of being in the weather, with only a few minor 'touch up's' here and there!

Plywood will 'soak up' a lot of the Thompsons Water Seal, so it can get expensive if you have a large structure to cover. And a quality oil base paint isn't cheap either but you won't have to worry about building a new structure for many, many years....the wire will rust out before the plywood deteriorates.

I use Thompsons Water Seal on any wood parts that are exposed to the weather, plus two coats of a quality oil base paint.

Some of the structures I've done this way are still in great shape, no rot, after 15 to 20 years of being in the weather, with only a few minor 'touch up's' here and there!

Plywood will 'soak up' a lot of the Thompsons Water Seal, so it can get expensive if you have a large structure to cover. And a quality oil base paint isn't cheap either but you won't have to worry about building a new structure for many, many years....the wire will rust out before the plywood deteriorates.
I went to Home Depot and looked through their "rejects" section. Since I didn't care about the colour, I got some high quality paint that wasn't mixed to the customer's satisfaction or returned for some reason. They were marked down to half or 75% off.

Back
Top Bottom