Painful scoliosis.

RachelFromTheBlackLagoon

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Wallingford, CT
I am 26 years old and was recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis after seeing the doctor several times for a tender, painful area on my spine. She suggested that I begin physical therapy and was supposed to refer me. I am in the process of switching physicians, due to many mix-ups and lots of disorganization at that office. I never got the referral and my spine is very painful. Does anyone else have scoliosis? How do you cope with the pain and what has helped you to improve it?

I have scoliosis due to a congenital defect (I am missing a vertebra). When I get really sore I head to the chiropractor. Having everything properly aligned relieves the stress your muscles exert on your spine and each other. Other things I have tried that have helped: pilates, yoga, lifting weights. All things to strengthen your core muscles and back help. The stronger you are the easier it is for your body to maintain proper alignment. Massages also help and can relieve tight, crampy spots.

Hope you can find some relief soon!

I have it. Have known since I was 19. My lower spine is twisted to the right making my hips uneven. It hurts when it hurts. Usually just take ibuprofen and tough it out. Therapy does nothing IMO it's a waste of time and money, of course the doctors will say different
wink.png
I learned to live with it. Mind over Matter. I don't mind so it doesn't matter
lol.png
It's the only way to get through some days at work
hu.gif

I'm interested in this as well. My mom has bad scoliosis, so we've been watching for it in our 4yo daughter.

Well, she definitely has it as well; her doctor confirmed it at the last visit. Unfortunately, he expects it to be severe since it showed up this early. I'd love to hear other people's stories about what we can do to keep the pain minimal for her.

Quote:
Thank you! I think I will try weights and yoga. Others have suggested the chiropractor, but I think I'd have a full blown panic attack if I went to one! I can't even watch or listen to somebody crack their knuckles without getting nauseous! Haha, it wouldn't be pretty.

I think my posture really strains my spine. I have slouched my entire life, unfortunately. I wonder if this could possibly be the cause of my scoliosis? I consciously try to stand and sit up straight, and when I slack on that I get sharp pains that remind me to correct my posture, but I almost wonder if there's some sort of brace I should be wearing. It's also painful to the slightest bit of pressure so leaning back on firm objects and sometimes even laying on my back can be excruciating.

Cindi, I often do ignore it and go about my day but there are days when it's really tough to pretend the pain doesn't exist! I've tried ibuprofen, no relief. The doc prescribed me anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers before she X-rayed and diagnosed me, and those didn't do much but put me to sleep. A friend of mine even gave me a heavy duty prescription painkiller to try on a particularly brutal day, and even that just barely took the edge off!

I know it's something I can cope with and hopefully not allow to affect my life too much AT THIS POINT. I'm just afraid that it will continue to get worse
sad.png
I'll definitely start looking up back strengthening exercises and keep my fingers crossed that they help!

Thanks for the input!

Quote:
And that is awful about your poor daughter. I hope the doctor is wrong or can help her before it ends up really painful. Poor kiddo
sad.png
One thing that provides temporary relief for me is icing the painful area with a cold pack.

Quote:
As a physical therapist, I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't helped you. I think the most important thing to remember about physical therapy is that it is NOT a quick fix (like chiros and meds). A PT's job is to give you exercises or means to help heal yourself, rather than be addicted to other services for the rest of your life. If you do the exercises prescribed, you should get better slowly- and usually it only takes 10-15 minutes a day to stretch and strengthen to avoid pain.

I don't mean to put you down, but I hear people say SO often that PT doesn't help- and I can tell you that ISN'T the therapist's fault- we give you the tools and you have to get out there and USE THEM!!!!!

Ok, I'm sorry. I read my response and realized it sounds VERY harsh.

What I really wanted to say is that we are all responsible for our own health and well-being. If you work toward wellness, and ask the right questions in order to be informed correctly, you will obtain wellness.

Rachel, I think its a great move being aware of your posture- that has A LOT to do with improving your condition! And some additional strength training- ie yoga, weights are also a great idea, but it would be a good idea to get advice from a trainer or therapist about what exercises are the best and checking your posture during these activities.

Quote:
Hi my son just had surgery to fix his missing vertebra he is 16. He is now going on 5 months after surgery He has been in pain for the past week getting him into massages. Hope that helps him with his pain a little also I believe he is going through a growth spurt and it has me concernd it will pull the screws and shift the rod in his back? When he is in bab bad pain he gets hot water bottles and hot bath with epsom salts that helps a little. So sorry your in pain

Back
Top Bottom