Paint chicks- how will they feather?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by learycow, Jan 23, 2015.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    these are some "paint" (not sure what else to call them) chicks I hatched from my own eggs. The parents are as follows: 6 pure golden comets, 3 naked necks (2 brown, 1 buff/white) all covered by a barred naked neck rooster.

I've hatched paint silkies before and know they feather out as paints.
    Does anyone suspect that these chicks will be paints once feathered? Or what do you think they will look like?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Just by the looks of them now I think it will be a paint. Have you ever used the chicken calculator? It's important to know the genotype so that way you can purposely breed Paints.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Could someone enlighten me?

I've never heard the term Paint before used with chicken (totally know what it is with horses)....is that a real term?

I would think of them as lightly Splash...or lightly mottled....just curious.
    LofMc

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I think there is at least one thread about Paint Silkies. I'm not certain, but I think they're more like California White blotching than splash or mottled.

ETA: Here is a link to one of the BYC threads: the American Paint Silkie

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Those chicks are a classic example of a dominant white cross. They get the little black spots on their down.

Very variable how they feather out, could feather out solid white, or mostly white with very few black feathers. California White is a perfect bird to understand this. They are a California Gray(cuckoo leghorn) crossed over white leghorns.

In your case, the mother most likely are the Comets or possibly buff/white hen if the white on her is due to dominant white.

At maturity they will show a fair amount of buff/red tint. Sort of but not the same as red pyle coloring. Hens with a buff wash over the breast and roos with darker buff or even red patch on the wings and saddle. This is due to having a buff parent. No way to tell how much black feathers they will have but normally, do not expect them to look anything close to Paint.

8. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thanks! I was thinking something along the lines of a sex-link or something like that as I know comets are a sex linked breed. And I've never hatched a paint chick that wasn't a silkie! The father is a barred NN which leads me to believe that he is a cross as well since pure NN don't come in barred. And I know that barred crosses can throw all kinds of fun colored offspring!

I'll keep you posted as to how they start to feather!

9. learycow

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here they are now!

10. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Please keep updating as they grow, if you don't mind? I especially like that first chick with the black just before its tail, very cute!
    One thing that is confusing me though, isn't the NN gene dominant? If you've got hens and a rooster that are NN, shouldn't you end up with some chicks that are as well? I don't own any, and really don't know much about them, but I am curious... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by